Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Census Time

I remember when I lived in my house and received the census packet in the mail. It sat on the counter for weeks. I never really understood what it was. I just knew that I had to fill out how many people lived in my household. I finally decided to fill it out when I read the deadline and read that if I did not return it then people would be calling me and knocking on my door.

Now that I realize that our state will lose money just because a couple of lazy people won't fill it out, I'm glad I filled mine out. I don't understand why people would not take the time to sit down and fill it out. It only takes at the most ten minutes. I understand that some people just are not educated about how important it is to fill it out. I know I was not educated about it.

People need to know that if they fill it out our state can receive money that our state really needs. Our state should educate people and let them know that Texas residents will not get in trouble for filling out the census form. People who are in trouble with the police or are illegal will not get in trouble. The government just wants to know how much money and what they need to spend that money on. Texas government just needs to keep getting the word out.

1 comment:

Cindy Pham said...

My colleague, Amber posted a blog not too long ago about the census packet and the overall importance of filling out the census packet. She also talked about how not many people are aware about just how essential it is. Hands down I would absolutely have to agree with Amber about this matter.

To begin with I do feel that not many people are conscious about what the heck a census packet is and also what it does. In all honest I had no idea what it was either up until this very semester when we learned about it in class. It is completely understandable that some people are hesitant to put down the exact information as to how many people truly live under a household for various reasons. And if I had no idea what a census packet was and I got something in the mail that ordered me to expose how many people live with me for whatever reason, I would be skeptical about it too. Not to mention I would be more reluctant to put down any information because of the fact that they say that they will be harassing you if you do not cooperate.

Now, if there were billboards or local television commercials that informed the public about what the census packet is; everything what just be a lot dandier. More people would learn that filling out these census packets is not detrimental to them in any way and that it will allow the state not to lose money because of it. So all in all I am in agreement with Amber :)